Skip to main content


If I want to report something, is 9-1-1 the only number to call?

FOR ANYTHING RELATING TO A CRIME THAT IS OCCURRING NOW OR ANY OTHER EMERGENCY, CALL 9-1-1. If in doubt, be safe and call 9-1-1. For NON-EMERGENCY reports, suspicious activity, or requests, call the non-emergency number for the Trussville Police Department which is 205-655-2101.

Can I make a police report any time of the day, or do I need to make an appointment?

The Police Department will respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to any request for police assistance. We always have officers on the road. We will send somebody to your house or business when you call.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

Yes. The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The receiving officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature. The officer also will ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address and phone number. This information is important for follow-up purposes, but you may decline to give this information and an officer will still respond.

I have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can I do about it?

Call the Police Department, at 205-661-4075 and ask for Sgt. Joseph Dunn. Request increased traffic patrol in your area. If the speeding occurs at a specific time each day this information will be helpful as well as a description of the suspect vehicle(s).

If I call about a traffic violator and give the police the tag number will the driver be given a ticket?

No. Under current Alabama law, a police officer is not, in most cases authorized to issue a traffic citation for an offense that he did not observe.

Why am I asked so many questions when I call?

The Communications Officers are trained to get as much information as possible to determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the Communications Officer will try to provide the appropriate personnel, whether it is law enforcement, EMS, fire or all at the same time the information relating to the call while continuing to ask additional questions.

How can I get a copy of an incident or accident report?

You must wait 3 working days for an incident or accident report to become available. The records department is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. except for holidays. You may come in person or you may also send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Police Records Department P.O. Box 159, Trussville, Alabama 35173. Please include the case number or victims name and approximate date of the incidents. Copies of the reports are $15.00.

Why did it take longer for an officer to answer my call this time than on previous calls for assistance?

All requests for police service are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that officers can respond immediately to emergencies.

Can an officer open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

Due to liability reasons Trussville Police Department officers are not issued the necessary equipment and are not authorized to attempt to unlock a vehicle unless an emergency exists where waiting to gain entry could cause serious injury or death.

Are there auctions to dispose of old patrol cars?

We auction off our older patrol vehicles and other vehicles on an as-needed basis. You may call the City Clerk or the Chief of Police to check on auction status.

Can I get additional patrols at my home or business?

We will be glad to provide additional patrols at your home or business. If you are experiencing problems or planning to be out of town please call our communications center at 205-655-2101.