Skip to main content

Trussville’s Stormwater Program


In 1972, the Clean Water Act was passed to help protect rivers, streams, and lakes from pollution. From this Act the newly created United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) created the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program. The purpose of the NPDES program was to track and control sources of pollution through permitting. In 1987, the NPDES program’s focus was widened to include permits for municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). The first MS4 permits for cities within Alabama were distributed in 1996. The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) is responsible for administering the permits in Alabama. The duration of each permit is five years.

Program Overview

On January 1, 2017, ADEM issued the current MS4 permit for Trussville (NPDES Permit No. ALS000015) MS4 – ADEM. Trussville is currently a member of Storm Water Management Authority, Inc. (SWMA) which has a membership of 21 cities within Jefferson County. SWMA helps the member cities cost share many of the permit requirements.

The components of the permit are as follows:

  • Storm Water Collection System Operations
  • Public Education and Public Involvement on Storm Water Impacts
  • Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE)
  • Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Control
  • Post-Construction Storm Water Management in New Development and Redevelopment
  • Spill Prevention and Response
  • Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
  • Application of Pesticides, Herbicides, and Fertilizers (PHFs)
  • Oils, Toxics, and Household Hazardous Waste Control
  • Industrial Storm Water Runoff

The City of Trussville submits an Annual Report to ADEM reporting their stormwater permit requirements. The latest Annual Report without the Appendices can be found here. A copy of the Appendices can be provided upon request.

The Annual Report, SWMPP, Trussville’s MS4 Permit, and other related documents can also be found on ADEM’s E-File System.

Important Numbers and Links

  • Call 930-1999 – For unknown liquids entering the storm drain system, stream or river
  • Call 655-5483 – For mud leaving a construction site due to improper construction practices
  • Call 655-2101 – For any spill

What is Stormwater and What Can I Do to Help?

Stormwater is rainwater, snowmelt, or even water from a garden hose that flows into the storm sewer system. Stormwater can come from many different sources including rooftops, street curbs, and paved areas. Once the excess water from these sources reach the storm sewer, the water is piped to the nearest creek, river, or stream untreated and could eventually end up in the drinking water supply.

For more information on stormwater and what you can do as a citizen, business owner, or developer here are some links and pamphlets


Fun Stuff for Kids


Household Hazardous Waste